Caregivers: Any serious side effects to the Covid-19 vaccine?

I don't know where you live and work, but I work as a live-in carer in the UK and, here, carers (care workers, social workers, caregivers, caretakers) are key (or critical) workers so, by March 2021, many of us have already had our first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine. 

Oh, dear! What a long sentence!  

Phew! 

image of a woman being vaccinated by another

Despite having trypanophobia (uncontrollable fear of needles), I had mine at the end of February 2021. 

I could have refused, of course. Nobody is obliged to get this Covid-19 vaccine. 

In fact, when I first heard they are going to vaccinate people, I didn't think twice: `I am not going to accept. They can't force me. It's too soon to have a proper vaccine. They didn't have enough time to develop an effective one.` 

The true reason behind this automatic and irresponsible refusal was the fear of needles, doctors, hospitals and such. Believe it or not, no doctor visited me in 15 years. Except for a dentist. 

Then, I spent weeks thinking about it. 

At some point, I thought and feared they will never offer it to me. `I am an immigrant, nobody cares if I live or die. To be truthful, many would celebrate if I died.`

It's a fact that I cannot change. It's not up to me, I just have to accept and move on. So, I don't lose any sleep over it. 

`Racism Without Racists - The Truth about Immigration` it's a book I wrote. 

Going back to the decision to have the Covid-19 vaccine, being a carer means that you provide care to others, so, I couldn't afford to refuse, I needed to think about the people I am paid to provide care too. It's my job. 

A carer shouldn't jeopardize others' health. Caretakers are expected to be healthy and fit for work at all times, especially during this pandemic. 

Honestly, I consider myself lucky for being among the first wave of people that made the list for the Covid-19 vaccination. 

Did I have any side effects? 

Yes. 

I felt a bit under the weather with flu-like symptoms for a couple of days, but they were to be expected. 

  • Tenderness, redness and a bit of swelling at the injection site
  • Muscle ache
  • Tiredness
  • Headache 
  • Mild fever

Like most people, really. 

Right? 

Nothing too serious. Nothing that any person cannot deal with. 

These side effects shouldn't put us off. 

Of course, there are some very unfortunate people who could get more serious side effects, but we don't know that first hand. The medical staff will take care of these people. They won't be ignored. At least, that won't happen in countries like England, France, Germany etc. 

I am praying for those who live and work in countries like the one I was born in. 
I heard that in Romania only some categories of people have been vaccinated. Teachers, doctors, nurses and such, but the elderly and vulnerable, not. 
My octogenarian mother heard no word from her GP as yet. Carers (mostly unpaid) either. 
Fingers crossed while praying. 

As carers, we need to be aware of the importance of being vaccinated against this terrible virus, regardless of our beliefs, conspiracy theories or personal reasons. 

We are allowed to refuse the Covid-19 vaccine, but, as critical workers, we must put first those we provide care to. We need to care. 


PS AstraZeneca vaccine is the one I had. The vaccine developed by the University of Oxford. 


Photo credit: Pixabay

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome, except for the offensive, rude, negative and scam (or spam) ones.
Moderation is manual.
Thank you for your kindness.

Previous Post Next Post